Thursday 30 November 2017

Matt Lauer’s ex-wife Nancy Alspaugh ‘shocked’ by allegations


Matt Lauer’s ex-wife defended the fired “Today” host a day after he was fired for sexual assault.


Nancy Alspaugh said Thursday that her ex was a good guy and she was “shocked” by the accusations.


“He’s been the best person that’s ever held that job and I couldn’t imagine that anything that he would have done — that would have been so out of character for him — that would have caused that reaction,” she told Entertainment Tonight.


Lauer was fired from NBC News Wednesday after an accusation of sexual harassment.


By the end of the day, multiple women had come forward with stories of inappropriate behavior.


One former staffer claimed Lauer gave her a sex toy as a present, including an explicit note about how he wanted to use it to her.


Another report alleged that Lauer exposed his penis to a woman and reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.


A woman also accused the former “Today” host of assaulted her in 2001. She claimed she passed out during the act and had to be taken to a nurse.


The married father of three was reportedly known for sending lewd text messages.


“On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident,” NBC News Chairman Andy Lack said in a statement Wednesday morning.


“Our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender.”


Alspaugh, who was married to Lauer from 1981 to 1988, said she doesn’t necessarily believe the allegations.


“He’s just a very giving person and charming and I think a lot of this stuff is obviously going to come to light, whether it’s true or not, and some of the things that are being stated may not be true,” she told Entertainment Tonight.


“We have to find that out, you know? As time goes on here, people should be aware there’s a family involved here. There are three children and that’s — I think it’s important to be aware that this can destroy a family. Reporting on accusations before they know whether they’re real or not.”


Alspaugh also said she called her ex-husband a week before the news broke to warn him that a reporter had approached her for a comment.


He denied the reports to her.


“Whatever they were going to come out with was fabricated,” she said.


Lauer apologized in a statement Thursday, but said that some of the accusations are “untrue.”


“There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC,” he said.


“Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.


“Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.”

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet



Source link

قالب وردپرس

The post Matt Lauer’s ex-wife Nancy Alspaugh ‘shocked’ by allegations appeared first on Article Pub.



from WordPress http://ift.tt/2zTrC4A

No comments:

Post a Comment